Long Island Divorce Attorney
Call Today! 516.688.0088
What Can Be Modified After My Divorce Is Finalized?

What Can Be Modified After My Divorce Is Finalized?

Going through a divorce can be one of the most challenging times in your life. It’s essential to have a dedicated family law attorney, like those at our firm, to help you obtain a positive outcome. Once your divorce is finalized, only certain aspects of the ruling can be modified — namely, child custody and child support. Let’s take a closer look at these topics.

Child Custody Modifications

Child custody modifications are possible after a divorce is finalized if a substantial change in circumstances affects the welfare of the children involved. For example, if the child’s needs change and are no longer adequately addressed in the parenting plan, that could result in a modification.

In addition, if one parent is neglectful or abusive toward their children, then the court can modify the existing ruling regarding time-sharing.

Child Support Modifications

Like child custody modifications, child support modifications are only possible when there has been a substantial change in circumstances involving at least three years since the last child support agreement was approved or a 15% change in financial compensation. This could include changes in income or job status for either parent involved.

In addition, it’s also possible for parenting time to affect how much one parent pays in child support, who pays what amount, and when payments are due each month.

Compassionate Family Law Attorneys

When going through a divorce, having an experienced family law attorney by your side is always beneficial to obtain the best outcome possible for your situation. However, even after your divorce is finalized, it’s still possible for certain aspects of your case (such as child custody and financial arrangements) to be modified if there has been some kind of significant change in circumstances since the court system made the initial ruling.

If you believe that you need a modification for any active court orders related to your divorce, then it’s important that you seek representation from an experienced family law attorney. Start today and call our firm at (516) 688-0088 to speak with one of our attorneys.


Contact Us Today

All Consultations are Free and Confidential
    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.